1. People & Relationships

If marriage is really for pro-creation, as some gay rights opponents suggest, why not require married couples to have children? An initiative filed by gay marriage advocates in Washington State would require heterosexual couples to have kids within three years or else have their marriage annulled. Under the initiative, marriage would be limited to men and women who are able to have children. Couples would be required to prove they can have children in order to get a marriage license, and if they did not have children within three years, their marriage would be subject to annulment. “For many years, social conservatives have claimed that marriage exists solely for the purpose of procreation ... The time has come for these conservatives to be dosed with their own medicine," said organizer Gregory Gadow in a printed statement. “If same-sex couples should be barred from marriage because they can not have children together, it follows that all couples who cannot or will not have children together should equally be barred from marriage." Supporters must gather at least 224,800 signatures by July 6 to put it on the November ballot.
Comments
February 8, 2007 at 10:58 am
(1) MW says:

The Washington initiative is brilliant!!! Creative and brilliant. I wish other states (including my own, Oregon) would do the same. Thanks for sharing this with us, Kathy.

February 8, 2007 at 4:46 pm
(2) Kim says:

I can’t believe I haven’t seen this in the news up here in Seattle. How funny and creative! Thanks for sharing.

February 9, 2007 at 7:14 am
(3) Shazzer says:

I blogged about this just the other day! It’s one of the most brilliant moves yet in the campaign for marriage equality in the U.S.

February 9, 2007 at 6:42 pm
(4) Ann says:

While we’re at it, let’s create an initiative that goes with the anti abortion legislation that says that all of the unwanted babies that are NOT aborted will be randomly assigned to the voters of the anti abortion act, where they are required to provide financial support and college tuition to said child.

February 10, 2007 at 2:40 am
(5) Carol says:

Kathy, dear, please check your dictionary. There’s no hyphen in procreation.

October 7, 2008 at 11:00 pm
(6) Natalie says:

I feel that Gay marriage should be legal, however how would this Bill effect Widows, or couples that have kids already and getting married for a second or third time?
I also wanted to respond to the comment left by the person about anti-abortionist having to take the children that arn’t wanted. Most abortions now-a-days are from teenage kids being reckless who shouldn’t be having sex in the first place. Second there are more than enough contraseptives out there for people who don’t want kids. For people to have abortions for the heck of it is rediculous!!!
Just thought I’d put that out there.

December 10, 2008 at 12:37 am
(7) patthegimp says:

This is a bad idea. I’ve been disabled since the age of 17 and have never had children, nor can I conceive with an opposite sex lover without either a turkey baster or a fertility doctor. If this ridiculous proposition becomes law(!!) I will never be able to marry legally. Marriage is a right of nature, to promise yourself to one individual in perpetuity is a divine right no state can infringe upon. Our fight for marriage rights MUST take a reasonable course or it will become farce.

September 20, 2009 at 4:12 pm
(8) becky harvey says:

I agree with the disabled and those whom aren’t able to have children for whatever reason in their development in life due to a genetic issue or otherwise. It’s STUPID to hold this as the Main reason for Staying Married!!! Children Are a Blessing NOT a Requirement to Marriage! I have been blessed with 4, yet I am re-married and unable to have any with this Wonderful Man I’m now married to. Why should our 5yr marriage be annulled due to not having children!!! How Obsurd!!! Again, Man’s ways are Not God’s ways. He intended and Created the Gift of Marriage between One Man and One Woman and to Multiply and Flourish the Earth with Joy!!! Two men/Two Women Cannot attempt to have this same Blessed Union! It’s just Truth as plain as anyone wants to see it. WOW!! When you’re Desperate you’re Foolish.

November 6, 2009 at 11:58 pm
(9) Noah Body says:

Let us face facts. What we call marriage is really a legal agreement between two individuals designed to protect property. That’s why you have to have permission from the state to do it. It is not a religious institution. There was a time that it was, those days are long since gone. Otherwise, why would you have to go to state to end one? Look at a divorce decree, it spells out who gets what and children are treated like items to be divided.