1. People & Relationships

Kathy Belge

L Word 406: You’re Looking Very Shane Today

By February 12, 2007

Or as my friend Alice says, “Isn’t Shane looking more and more like Edward Scissorhands each day?” Regardless of what the look is, Shane in her underwear holding her tiny breasts is very popular with men and women alike. As if Shane wasn’t popular enough, now modeling men’s underwear has launched her into super model status.

But let’s back up a minute and talk about the production of this show, which I must add was both written and directed by amazing director and out lesbian Angela Robinson of D.E.B.S. fame. The opening sequence is brilliant, fast moving, split screenshots of Alice, Bette, Jenny, and Shane talking about the upcoming party for Shane’s underwear debut, with Phyllis cutting in, pining about Alice. Alice calls all the girls to invite them, even though Shane asks her not to and Papi calls to say she and Tasha will be there. Whew! It really is worth watching.

And then Jodi pops into Bette’s office and matter-of-factly lets Bette know that she knows she’s been avoiding her because she’s uncomfortable that they almost kissed. She says she’ll pretend it never happened if that’s what Bette wants. But we all know that is NOT what Bette wants. So later, Bette shows up at Jodi’s studio and in an incongruous moment, Bette is afraid to kiss Jodi. What? You kissed that intern, you kissed Candace when you were still married. Why afraid to kiss this hot artist who obviously has the hots for you too? Luckily for us, she gets over it quickly and Jodi and Bette do a lot more than kiss in the studio. But the whole time we were on the edge of our seats, afraid someone was going to walk in on them, or worse, their boot-knocking will knock over one of Jodi’s sculptures.

It all makes perfect sense and it seems like maybe Bette has found an equal she can finally hang with, until Jodi opens her big mouth. See, she hates kids. Ouch. End of first date.

But let us not forget Jenny and the ugly position she has put herself in, befriending the Curve writer’s cute girlfriend. Just as Stacey and Lindsay are about to head of out town for a romantic weekend to save their relationship, Jenny calls Stacey, pretending to be a hotshot editor and offers Stacey an interview with Shane. Stacey, of course, can’t resist the temptation and cancels the trip with the girlfriend. Which, in turn, prompts Lindsay to invite Jenny (who she thinks is Debbie) out of town with her. Lindsay is starting to fall for Jenny (Debbie) and Jenny is finally realizing how f--ed up she really is and starts to come clean just when Stacey shows up at the door. I have a feeling this storyline isn’t over yet.

And in addition to all that drama, Max comes out to his boss to stand up for a female co-worker, Tina and Bette fight over Angelica’s preschool, Helena loses a lot of money gambling and Tasha and Alice get closer. In my opinion, it was one of the best episodes of The L Word yet this season. What did you think? As always, comment below.
© Photo: Paul Michaud/Showtime

Comments
February 12, 2007 at 10:09 pm
(1) justme says:

I also thought it was the best episode. it was funny and sexy… great combo!

February 13, 2007 at 10:44 am
(2) moonstar says:

I agree that this was one of the better episodes. I really would like to see these girls get into more action, but I can honestly say that it has been very entertaining, much more so than previous seasons.

February 13, 2007 at 11:37 am
(3) Liz says:

This was clearly the best episode of the season so far. The production level was amazing and all the places looked so beautiful from the hospital to the lavish theater. It started with a bang in the intro, which was awesome. The editing and writing on the show was unbelievable. The snappy writing on those multi-phone conversations really grabbed me. Maybe it’s because the new members are finally feeling like a part of the ensemble, but it really highlighted the fact that it’s an ensemble cast with lots of standout players and not just one.

The Bette/Tina argument played well because that original conversation about Angelica’s schooling was never witnessed so it’s hard to take sides.

Jenny continues to be totally fucked up. She’s achieving this level of success and then immediately sabatoging herself. This woman isn’t the only writer in L.A. Jenny should be promoting herself. I mean, the book was all about her self-destructive impulses. Doesn’t she have any self-awareness at all?

She should try to get an interview on Alice’s show. You know, work the connections that she does have.

The writing again shifts into high gear again with the Papi conversation as she “narrates” the scenes with Jenny and Max. And Bette. Watching Bette learn sign language is amazing. Totally a romantic gesture. The “commit to your hand” comment gave me chills.

And of course Bette hesitates before kissing Jodi because she realizes that this isn’t just a hook-up. She has finally met someone that she might be able to have a relationship with. As someone who is still reeling from a breakup of an intense relationship, I know how hard it is when you’ve decided that that couple life isn’t for you and you close yourself off to that possibility.

Really powerful episode. I can’t believe that Helena is going to have to become a prostitute to pay off her gambling debt.

February 13, 2007 at 3:29 pm
(4) Sirena says:

I LOVED the opening sequence! Very hot episode! My lover enjoys the sex scenes & makes it an even better episode after the show has ended…hehehe

I am really excited to see the Max storyline play out! So much courage! And truly a story that needs to be told.

As for Shane, always my girl! Edward Scissorhands or not, I loved that movie too. ;)

February 13, 2007 at 5:37 pm
(5) scriptwizerd says:

I agree with the 3rd comment. More serious stuff. Less compation. Shane is looking scissorhand on something…

February 13, 2007 at 11:00 pm
(6) Becky says:

I agree–I thought it was a fantastic episode. The preview for the next one has some Shane/Paige action with Shay getting some repercussions as a result…It looks great too. I like that they’re dealing with serious topics–like Max, for example–but remain humorous and amusing all the same. They don’t get too heavy handed ever. It’s really quite fun to watch.

February 13, 2007 at 11:51 pm
(7) justme says:

about shanes hair.. kate is pretty hot in real life. why must shane look like shes wearing a wig?

February 14, 2007 at 10:22 am
(8) Deanna says:

I, too, think that this episode was one of the better ones this season. My partner and I, however, would like to see JUST ONE monogamous, committed lesbian couple.

There’s this world of free and easy sex, excess drama (I really don’t like the Papi vs Shane theme), but no where is a lesbian couple that shows what my relationship — and that of my friends — is like. It’s my biggest complaint about this series.

February 14, 2007 at 1:35 pm
(9) Lulu says:

I agree, the opening ‘phone’ scene was brilliantly done!
I love the chemistry between Bette and Jodi, but I need to know…. what did Bette sign after she told Jodi she scared her?
My depth of dislike for Jenny seemed bottomless until she partially redeemed herself by her attempt at coming clean. I still don’t like her though.
I don’t like Papi either.
I love Shane, always have, and even though she’s pretty messed up and has messed up in her past relationships, I thought what she said to Paige about why she didn’t want to get involved was perfectly beautiful.
Max may not have had the surgery yet, but he’s got some balls coming out to his boss!
Bring back Ivan and lose Angus. Never did like him.
Still not sure about Sybil’s character. The ‘happy, smiley’ Phyllis just didn’t ring true for me and the sex scene with Alice actually felt a bit uncomfortable.

February 14, 2007 at 3:50 pm
(10) Chris says:

I SOOO agree w/ Lulu. From start to finish, what an amazing episode. I’m also soooo feeling the chemistry between Alice & Tasha! I agree, I don’t like Papi nor do I feel she’s a threat to Shane. Messed up hair and messed up life, Shane is honest, vunerable and we all love her! Also, Angus broke my heart when he cheated, he’s gotta go. The story line w/ Kit & Ivan has never really been resolved, PERFECT time to bring her back. Each week I love Helena more and YES, just when I thought I couldn’t stand one more scene w/ Jenny in it, she actually showed signs of humility and attempted to be honest. I say she doesn’t deserve that sweet girl she’s been lying to, she deserves someone as self-righteous, hypocritical and phony as herself! Is is Sunday already??? I’m SOOO ready to see what happends next!

February 14, 2007 at 6:40 pm
(11) Luellen says:

Brilliant episode. Yes, probaby the best this year. Had to watch it twice because it was so awesome!
Alice is my fave.

February 14, 2007 at 6:59 pm
(12) Echo says:

I loved this episode as much as I love the L Word, but I have to agree that they need to put a monogamous, dedicated couple on here. We had that for a minute with Bette and Tina, but then they had to go and Drama it up. Honestly, there isnt THAT much drama in life, Id like to see some realism along with it to balance the show out.

February 15, 2007 at 12:43 am
(13) Bev says:

Great episode! Much chemistry between Alice and Tasha. But my my my girl Bette and Marlee Matlin. HOT!!! I could watch them for hours. LOL.

February 15, 2007 at 10:54 am
(14) MJ says:

I want that Hugo Boss tarp in my room! HOT HOT HOT SHANE!

Yeah, what did Bette sign to Jodi?

February 15, 2007 at 11:16 am
(15) Mima says:

I concur; it was so entertaining I had to watch it twice. All the roles were well developed. I also would like to know what Bette was signing to Jodi. Ahhh! Such hot mamas!

February 15, 2007 at 12:35 pm
(16) nicole says:

I liked the episode too, but I think that Shane looks like Gollum from Lord of the Rings.

February 15, 2007 at 5:36 pm
(17) Joanna says:

this was the best season….funny, hot….just amazing….i hope the l word continues…..its the best damn show, its the only reason i watch television seriously.

February 15, 2007 at 10:58 pm
(18) Shannon says:

God.. I wish I was looking very Shane today.. seriously, she’s so sexy.. but not as sexy as that Carmen she let go (I totally miss her!!!!!!!!!!)

February 16, 2007 at 7:06 am
(19) LoveALibra says:

I agree, it was a great episode. They’re all great actually, which is why I get so sad when it ends.

First off, Phyllis is pissing me off. I mean, what did she expect?! Accept it Phyllis, you’re married, you’re NOT THE VICTIM. Although, it was right timing for Alice, considering she never wanted “all in”. I especially don’t like the fact that she’s releasing her “sorrow” on Bette at work.

Yes, Jenny may be demented in a way but Lindsay could be good for her. Then again, Jenny + Lindsay might = boring. We don’t need anymore draggy Jenny parts.

Please, please, please don’t let Shane settle down with the Mommy! C’mon, if you’re ‘gonna leave Carmen to be an unattached bachelorette for life…then you better do just that!

We’ll just have to tune in. I miss you Carmen and Dana!

February 19, 2007 at 6:55 pm
(20) trace says:

I watched this episode several times last week for 2 reasons: the opening sequence (extremely well-done all around) AND for the paige/shane scene, Kristanna Loken is so hot and tho I am sorry carmen and shane didn’t work, i am loving this storyline with shay, and now paige. people change and shane’s hedonistic free fall was wearing thin – she needs to have evolved from the “i can’t love anybody because nobody loved me” mentality, whatever happens with paige (and i really hope something does!) she has shay now and this will be shane’s healing relatioship. the show started off bumpy this season but it has has really otten very good in a short time. love alice – just love her!

February 20, 2007 at 8:24 am
(21) Lulu says:

Doesn’t anyone have the answer to what Bette signed to Jodi???

February 20, 2007 at 1:21 pm
(22) d says:

Bette signed that she is afraid to be with her afraid to get in a realtion ship with Jodi cause she dont know how it will go with her

February 23, 2007 at 12:12 pm
(23) Lulu says:

Thanks d

February 26, 2007 at 5:58 pm
(24) D says:

you are very welcome Lulu :)