1. People & Relationships

One thing I love about the English language is that it is forever changing. New words pop up every year and slang is ever-evolving. Earlier this year Dani Campbell from A Shot at Love with Tila Tequila coined the word "Futch."

I just learned about a movement to rid the English language of the word lesbian and replace it with the word "gayelle," which they say is more cheerful and fun than the word lesbian. From the website Sapphicchic.com: "The motivation that inspired the creation of a new word, meaning gay and female, is a long-standing and persistent distaste for the word lesbian. The invention of “gayelle” is with the idea and hope that it will have a worldwide appeal, and ultimately, supersede the word lesbian; a suitable replacement is necessary for positive language and the healthy self-esteem of the gay-female-population."

What do you think? Like the word lesbian? Or is gayelle a better word? Vote in the Lesbian Life Poll:

© Photo of Dani Campbell by Julie Milford courtesy of Club Skirts
Comments
February 28, 2008 at 8:02 pm
(1) Lori says:

I definitely prefer LESBIAN! It is not just another feminized version of a term used to refer to men. Woman, female, gayelle are all variations on a demeaning theme. If they really want to change things, why not call homosexual men lesbimen?

February 29, 2008 at 10:03 am
(2) Tina-cious.com says:

I agree with Lori. Not only does it make us have to AGAIN refer back to men – it sounds like a bad women’s mag title.

…or some sort of deer-like animal.

Thanks but no thanks.

“Lesbian” rules!

March 4, 2008 at 10:06 am
(3) Alice says:

Big fat homo is good with me. Let’s go with that.

March 6, 2008 at 10:37 am
(4) Ro says:

I think ‘gayelle’ has a nicer ring to it; I’ve never particularly liked the sound ‘lesbian’ has and it does seem to connotate the stereotypical image of a butch, gay woman to most people.

But what really needs to be reworked is the word ‘girlfriend’. Since many straight women refer to their friends as ‘girlfriends’, to call a real girlfriend for a gay or bisexual woman ‘girlfriend’ seems a bit odd. If a man said he had a ‘boyfriend’, you could not mistake it for anything else, so I think a separate word should be invented for a real ‘girlfriend’ as opposed to a ‘friend’.

March 6, 2008 at 12:26 pm
(5) Kleis says:

Why replace a good, historic and honorable term with so fabracated giberish? I don’t get it. I’m proud to be a Lesbian!

March 6, 2008 at 11:16 pm
(6) Miriam says:

I have news for ya ladies. Futch is not a new term. I live in Pennsylvania for 11 years but before that I lived in NYC a large part of my life. When I first came out 20 years ago, ever since then I have told people that I was a futch which meant to me that I was a cross between a femme and a butch. 20 years ago, I don’t want to take responsibility for starting use on that word because I may have heard it before, I honestly don’t remember. But I can tell you that people found it funny when I said that. It is not new and Dani Cambell was not the first to use it.

March 6, 2008 at 11:20 pm
(7) Miriam says:

One more thing, what does it matter what people want to call themselves? If that is what they identify with and you understand what they are saying then why complain about what word they are using? Let’s be more tolerant of each other. Oh, there is a key word: tolerance!

March 9, 2008 at 1:09 am
(8) Helen says:

Gayelle? hmm… nah, dont’ like it. jmo, i prefer lesbian.

March 13, 2008 at 12:32 am
(9) Becky says:

I am upset at all the unmarried straight couples that have hichaked the term “partner”. Does it bother anyone else.

August 17, 2009 at 1:25 am
(10) Tommy says:

Futch is a surname from Germany and wasn’t recently ‘made up.’ In fact it can be traced back to 1685 Heidleberg when my forefathers (and mothers) were chased out no doubt by bill collectors.

February 2, 2010 at 11:10 pm
(11) Heather B says:

The name sounds like some animal a crazy hetero male would hunt down like Bambi….why would we all the sudden try and change who we are…that is insane. I finally, after 33 years admitted to the person I was, and why in the world would I try and start telling people, “oh, no, I am not a Lesbian, I am a Gayelle.” Honestly, something like this just makes the gross population think we can’t make up our minds and makes them dismiss us as a trend. Seriously, maybe I am just too old for all of this, so call me crazy. Especially, since it took me a long time to admit that I am and have become a proud and out LESBIAN (longer than I would like to admit in the 30+ years it took me to come out.) So, how in the world could I even consider after all I have been through rethinking what I am, even if it is something so silly as a name. Shakespeare comes to mind at this point, but I always disagreed with HIM.

August 30, 2010 at 6:34 am
(12) Heather C says:

This is one of the most ridiculous and funny things I’ve ever heard! Keep the laughs coming! Gayelle! Hahaha!

March 29, 2011 at 5:06 pm
(13) Renee says:

Futch is MY family name and it bothers me that it may mean something else. We Futch’s need to ban and not let people make something out our our family name and disrespect our ancestors.

April 8, 2011 at 8:21 pm
(14) Futchie says:

Actually I think its pretty convenient that my last name is futch and i am also a lesbian thats a cross between femme and butch haha.