1. People & Relationships

Is there anyone in America who doesn't love Ellen DeGeneres? It's hard to imagine just ten years ago, when she came out of the closet and nearly lost her career that she would have catapulted to her position as everybody's favorite girl next door. In fact, a recent Harris poll found that Ellen DeGeneres is America's favorite television star. And now Ellen has been chosen as the face of CoverGirl.

What I like most about this, is not just that Ellen is a lesbian, but that she's a 50-year-old tomboy. The thing that strikes me as funny, though, is that Ellen doesn't seem the type to wear make-up in her everyday life. Sure, she wears tons of it when she's on TV, but do you think she really puts lipstick and rouge on when she leaves the house?

Although this has nothing to do with make-up, I also find it amusing that I often get letters from straight women telling me of their crushes on Ellen. One person sent me a pages long description of an erotic "dream" she had about the talk show host. But more often than not, I get letters like this one from Carol in Ontario:

I'm a woman, married and reasonably happy. I've long had a "girl" crush on Ellen DeGeneres. I thought today, after watching this show that I feel so much affection for her, I'm physically attracted to her, often feel envious of those people from her audience who get to hug her and would love to be one of her female friends. I totally adore her. I can find many women attractive but rare is the woman I meet (even see on television) that I feel that much fondness for.
What about you? Do you have a girl crush on Ellen? What do you think it is about her that makes middle America swoon? Add your comments below:
Photo by Vince Bucci/Getty Images
Comments
September 23, 2008 at 11:09 am
(1) Mickey says:

I don’t exactly have a “girl crush” on Ellen,but I do think she’s awesome! I love her stand up as well as her show.I think she should be a poster girl for all us lesbians! I did read where she has not contributed to gay rights causes,though. So,Ellen,get out the old checkbook and help us fight for “our” rights!

September 23, 2008 at 1:30 pm
(2) Oly Grl says:

10 years ago when I met my wife, I remember telling my roommate that she looked a little like Ellen or the beautiful black & white cover of Princess Di on People magazine that happened to be on the racks! (you can see the resemblence now, can’t you?) ;) I guess you could say I have a crush, but my wife looks so much like Ellen that I get to “live” it! =) She also happens to be quite funny, although her timing is a lot different as well as the type of humor.

Now to the question at hand. I think middle Americans can relate to Ellen b/c she is herself. She doesn’t try to be anybody else, she is quirky & friendly & has a genuine loving heart. She is not just adorable to look at but she is beautiful on the inside. While some may not like that she doesn’t “throw her gayness around”, I think that is another draw to Americans who have never met an openly gay person. I think she has done so much for the gay community by coming out & staying visible & while there is no price tag for that, perhaps seeing her on an almost daily basis does more for our “cause” than writing a check for HRC or Lesbian Cancer Research Centers.

September 23, 2008 at 8:12 pm
(3) Owl says:

Before Ellen came out and before I did I used to watch her sitcom and think she was wonderful!! We came out at much the same time (only obvioulsy she got more publicity!) and I have had a warm place in my heart for her ever since. And I love her humour!!

September 24, 2008 at 3:27 pm
(4) Neverspeak says:

I’m tired of hearing about Ellen. It seems that she’s just a token.

September 24, 2008 at 8:54 pm
(5) Daniela says:

Ellen is HOT. i love her style, her confidence, her openness. i wanna dance with her, but i’d probably be nervous…

September 25, 2008 at 2:45 am
(6) Angele says:

I definitely have a girl crush on Ellen!! I think she is gorgeous…she makes the whole tomboy thing work, its sexy! I love her confidence and her strength. She is hilarious and can make many situations (from what I’ve seen on tv) entertaining. I would love to meet her, it’s a definite ‘must’ on my list!

September 25, 2008 at 12:49 pm
(7) Dianne says:

Postively yes, I do have a crush on Ellen. I am a lesbian and I definetly find Ellen to be very sexy. I love the way she dance, I enjoyed her show on TV and yes most of all I am jealous of her girlfriend. I am hoping one day I will be able to see Ellen face to face and just to hug her. I am African American woman, and Ellen is the first Causcian woman that I find myself falling for. Love you Ellen.

September 28, 2008 at 2:56 pm
(8) Ariel H says:

Ellen has charisma, plain and simple. That charisma is acentuated by her basically kind nature which makes her a superstar. There is something wrong with a person who doesn’t find themselves liking her, really. I love her for being such a phenomenal lesbian embassador to the world!

October 1, 2008 at 4:07 pm
(9) LB says:

I have had a crush on Ellen for years. I watched her first time on TV. I watched her on Bud Melman’s comedy show – when she wore dykey vests and had the big mullet. I have read all her books and seen all her videos AND watched both sitcoms. I loved her before I knew I was a lesbian but I guess deep down I always knew. And through all of it Ellen has been a role model to look up to. I am so happy for all of her happiness and success because she has been through hard times and has definitely earned it.