1. People & Relationships

Asheville, NCCertain towns have reputations for being lefty or liberal. Berkeley, California. Eugene, Oregon. Ithaca, NY. Even in the South, in a conservative state like North Carolina, one can find a small town that will throw its arms open to lesbians. Asheville, NC is not only gay-friendly, but gorgeous; nestled in picturesque Blue Ridge Mountains. If you're looking for a get-away that offers outdoor activities, cultural events, a fun nightlife and fine or casual dining experiences, check out lesbian-friendly Asheville, NC.
zen Sutherland
Comments
March 7, 2009 at 10:02 pm
(1) Holly says:

I LOVE Asheville,NC. Much to do, much to see, and the fall colors are simply beautiful.A drive along the Blue Ridge Parkway always completes our visit.

March 8, 2009 at 7:38 pm
(2) ForestScribe says:

Unfortunately, however, Asheville, NC, although beautiful in terms of location and in its welcoming atmosphere for selected groups, has one huge black mark against it in my book – in the attitudes toward the homeless. A while back, we read about the city’s efforts to further marginalize and persecute the city’s homeless by making it illegal to feed a homeless person… so any relief organization or outreach ministry who did so would have been violating the city ordinances… and subject to fines and penalties, such as the loss of their city-issued licenses, etc. We no longer travel… but when we did, Asheville was always a little slice of heaven on earth for us – not any more! I’ll never spend another dime of my tourist dollar to support such a heartless and hypocritical town.

March 16, 2009 at 9:36 am
(3) Jeanie says:

Living just an hour away, I spend a lot of time in Asheville. The homeless issue I am aware of and have been approached by some on a few occasions. Most will move on without a problem if asked but I did have one instance where they made themselves “more verbal”. The homeless population has greatly increased up there and I think most cities would prefer them to not sit around on the sidewalks. There is help available for them.

On the other hand and on a positive note, Asheville is a very “artsy” community with many places to visit and see. Also a place to pick up cool used furniture and antiques.

The food is fresh and mostly organic. The downtown area is neat to walk around in. Lots of hiking and kayaking opportuntities in the area and great gear shops. Malaprops is a great bookstore downtown and lesbian owned. Franks pizza is an old icon that’s been there for YEARS and has the best stuffed shells you can eat for $5.75!

July 31, 2009 at 4:25 pm
(4) becky says:

hey mr. gay and lesbians will die in hell
obviously you’ve got a thing for gays if you’re researching it on the internet. it’s got nothing to do with you, so worry about your own issues.

November 10, 2009 at 5:50 pm
(5) Lisa E says:

Becky,

I always heard that God doesn’t make junk. I don’t happen to believe that people that live with love in their hearts and share that love with others, will end up in such a Hell.

You you are already living in your own personal Hell, just by holding that much hatred in your heart.

February 8, 2011 at 1:59 pm
(6) Ursula says:

I’ve searched all over the web looking for asheville lesbians of color. In process of relocating from the East Coast where you socialize and network with women from diverse ethnicities. I’m single and merely interested in meeting people for social activity. I find it intimidating to be the “ONLY” person of color in a room full of white chicks.
So. Where’s the sisters at?