1. People & Relationships

Kathy Belge

Eleanor Roosevelt

By March 12, 2010

It is well known that first lady Eleanor Roosevelt had a relationship with another woman, journalist Lorena Hickok. There is also a lot of evidence, despite family members destroying correspondence between the two, that were lovers.

Photo courtesy of Library of Congress

Comments
March 13, 2010 at 1:20 am
(1) surgicalgirl says:

I’ve heard rumors about Eleanor. I always wondered if they were true.

March 13, 2010 at 10:21 am
(2) lesbien says:

I want a relationship with old lesbian cause I feel lonely and I want her honest with me .

Im 21 years old university student .

March 18, 2010 at 11:09 am
(3) brenda says:

hey lesbien why an old one..

March 18, 2010 at 11:27 am
(4) Jeannie says:

wow… anyway
I heard that FDR told her that she could have her women if he could have his… i think that is hysterical

March 18, 2010 at 12:51 pm
(5) pame says:

It would be great to compile a book about all the women in history who have been lesbians and have had affairs with women…

And we have to remember those are only the ones we know about. For every one that was outed there were probably many more that lived their lives in secret.

March 18, 2010 at 1:02 pm
(6) Laurie says:

I see nothing wrong with Eleanor Roosevelt having an affair with any one if she thought it right for her. Too many people have had then and many more will do the same.

March 18, 2010 at 9:29 pm
(7) omarsgirl73 says:

All I can say is an affair is an affair and in my mind can’t be justified because it was a same sex relationship. If Eleanor had a relationship with a woman that was not intimate that’s fine , but if you cross the line that’s it.

March 19, 2010 at 2:20 am
(8) Brynna says:

MOST older women are more settled, know what they want, know how to show love and compassion, and have transitioned out of the bar scenes and game playing. It’s so refreshing to be a mature, wise and loving woman at 60. However, a 20 something woman, in all likelihood, won’t stay in a May-December relationship…it’s a fact of life to be considered when seeking a partner. Even a 15 year difference in age is a stretch because someone is going to be alone (without the other) eventually because the natural aging process doesn’t stop because we fall in love.

March 20, 2010 at 7:01 am
(9) Nadine says:

Brynna, I’m 61 and I do so agree. I had a wonderful time reuniting with my lover of 20 years ago. With a 15 year age difference, we had each changed too much in our own ways to remain lovers. It was difficult for me when she found a lover her age. When both women are young age doesn’t seem to matter.