1. People & Relationships

Kathy Belge

Ellen & Portia

By March 18, 2010

Today's lesbians who make history is actually a couple. Both Ellen DeGeneres and Portia de Rossi have done so much for the cause of gay and lesbian rights. Their marriage in 2008 brought much publicity to the fight for same-sex marriage and California's Prop 8. Both women continue to use their celebrity status to speak out for gay rights (and animal rights!) and keep us entertained while they do so.

Ellen recently took over as the new judge on American Idol. I've heard mixed reviews about her effectiveness as a judge. What do you think? How is Ellen doing on American Idol?

Evan Agostini/Getty Images

Comments
March 19, 2010 at 2:13 pm
(1) Eydie Schultz says:

Cris Williamson is my true mentor in music and is a respectful representative for the women’s music. Cris and her investors developed Olivia Productions in the mid 70′s. I hope the lesbian community will always honor her because she is truly a rare gem with a genuine soul and a strong heart. I hope that God gives me another chance to meet her. However, this time I will not walk away because of tears rolling down my face. Carolyn DeLoach offered me the chance of a lifetime to meet Cris back stage at the Fox theater when the concert was over and my unbalanced pride sabatoged that dream of meeting her. I attended the concert a year after, I broke up with my ex-girlfriend and every song that Cris and her band sang brought back many memories of my relationship with Eunice . I lost myself in the moment of feeling deep emotions. If, I could do it all over again, I would wash my eyes and face and tell Cris how much she touches my soul unlike any other singer or woman on this earth. She is an inspiration to all of us. I admire her strength, warm heart, spiritual awareness, and her love. Her personal embrace and life experience’s is shared with each one of us through her music and words of wisdom. I hope that one day before leaving this earth that I will have another opportunity to meet her.
Cris, I want to thank you for having so much faith, love, and strength within to create Olivia Productions and for giving so much back to the lesbian community.
Your true fan,
Eydie Schultz

March 21, 2010 at 11:21 pm
(2) Ari says:

I have seen her just once, and for about 2min. I don’t know if she is doing it right or wrong, but I have never seen that show before.. I had been waiting for it all week long!!! And TV shows, that is all they need, rating and viewers.

March 22, 2010 at 8:55 am
(3) Lori says:

I think Ellen’s positioning on the show is to bring a little compassion to the contestants through Humor. That being said I think she is effective in that role …….But please Ellen stop flirting with Simon…that is not effective or funny!!!!!!!!!

March 23, 2010 at 4:19 am
(4) Cymantha says:

Yep, they are just entertaining us and bringing compassion to the contestants in a humorous way. But flirting….??

Marriage Records

March 23, 2010 at 4:29 pm
(5) Skye says:

I have seen Ellen a few times I think she funny, and very hip. she knows what she likes and tells it like it is. She is not a follower and I like that; a Simon Cowell with a tie! The show is a little dated for my tates but I watch ’cause she on it makes me feel important as a woman and a lesbian. We buy and make music too.

March 25, 2010 at 10:39 am
(6) Jenn says:

I think she adds a different twist to the show. There is no doubt that she knows music, but she tends to hear music the way consumers do because she isn’t in the music business. Therefore, I feel she speaks more for the common folk and what we want.

March 25, 2010 at 5:20 pm
(7) Mickey says:

I LOVE Ellen! I think she brings humor to A.I. Good for her. And great for us! We need more positive gays & lesbians in the limelight. They help people realize that we’re all really not that different. Portia and Ellen make an awesome couple. Kudos to them both!

March 26, 2010 at 12:53 am
(8) Brandy Black says:

I love Ellen but Portia blows me out of the water with her articulate message that represents so well for our community. I saw her speak at the HRC event and she is truly touching. I am so happy to see these women in the media.
Great blog all together Kathy.

April 28, 2010 at 12:16 pm
(9) ellensuxnow says:

Well, who cares that she had or has anorexia? Ellen has changed, her show sucks and is just plain stupid, boring and she has this idiotic hair cut now, she is trying to “BE THE MAN” I she was not as rich as she is I doubt that Portia would have looked twice. Ellen was a jerk to her ex, dumping her cruelly for someone she didn’t even know, and cheating as well just because she “looks” like a catch. She even joked and said “I’VE GOT HER! move over John Stamos” I use to love Ellen but she is a real narcissist now, it’s all gone to her head, she is no longer nice she is a snob. If she was so into animals and all that then she would do public service announcements for free but she advertises Cover Girl cosmetics, cover girl cosmetics tests their products on animals! . So she is a hypocrite as well. Her plastic surgeries are just too much, she has had her eyes done, a face lift, liposuction, etc and so on just to look as young as Portia! Truth is, she is 53 years old and Portia (or Mandy as her given name) is 18 years younger, there is no way they are going to stay together. I agree that Mandy is a mediocre actress. stupid TV roles and guest spots. Who cares about her memoirs? If she wants to prove she’s over her anorexia, then eat some chocolate cake already! Also, Portia wears way way too much make up and she has been photographed in fur more times than I can count so she is also a hypocrite. Ellen use to be cool but not any more.