1. People & Relationships

Kathy Belge

The Best and Worst of 2010 for LGBT People

By November 29, 2010

As the year winds down, we take a look at some of the victories and defeats for the LGBT community and our supporters in 2010. This was a year of celebrity coming outs, marriages and a one very gay TV show. It was also a year of political set-backs and violence against our community. It was a year where LGBT teens suffered and lesbians and gay men in Africa quiver and quake at intensity of violence directed at them. It is also a year in which the community and our allies, including the President of the United States and the Secretary of State put out a very clear and strong message for LGBT teens at risk.

Let's take a look back at 2010 and the Best and Worst events for the LGBT Community.

Photos: Alex Wong and Kevin Winter/Getty Images

Comments
November 29, 2010 at 7:01 pm
(1) Kathy says:

I just got an email about the corrective rape situation in South Africa: Please help take action.
The heinous crime of “Corrective Rape” is prolific in South Africa, especially in the “townships”. Corrective Rape is a terminology used wherein a male rapes a lesbian with the aim of turning her heterosexual! Most of the victims are also tortured, grievously assaulted and sometimes murdered! they are also prone to getting HIV/AIDS from the assault, and many of them commit suicide as a result of the “corrective rape”!

Please see the petition here:

and check our blog to find out more here:

November 30, 2010 at 3:42 am
(2) Billi says:

Thanks so much for drawing attention to this, Kathy – we really appreciate it.

December 2, 2010 at 12:55 pm
(3) Veejay says:

Please look out for this little book,
Queer Malawi. Untold stories.
I’m sure we all know homosexuality
is a criminal offence with harsh prison
sentences.
This book is the first queer literature
that will be openly distributed in Malawi.
The launch is on Monday 6 Dec
They do expect a backlash so support
will be welcomed!
QUEERS UNITE!

December 2, 2010 at 12:59 pm
(4) Veejay says:

Eish! I need to get the hang of posting from a
Blackberry!

December 2, 2010 at 8:41 pm
(5) Charlene says:

That’s absolutely terrible even to think about. It happened to very good friend 10 years ago. She’s still unable to go out in public by herself. SO I go with her as I have a CCW and will use it if I need too.

December 3, 2010 at 1:45 pm
(6) Rose says:

I don’t mean to be picky, but I think ‘corrective rape’ would be higher on the list than a pair of teens being denied their photos. The latter is petty in comparison and with time will be corrected. The other is a graver issue that has life or death consequences.