1. People & Relationships

Kathy Belge

Repealed!

By December 22, 2010

Today President Obama signed legislation that will repeal "Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

I follow the President on Twitter. This is what he tweeted today, "We are a nation that welcomes the service of every patriot and believes all are created equal. Those are the ideals we upheld today."

What about you? What was your tweet about #DADT? What did you write on Facebook? Share your sentiments below.

Mark Wilson/Getty Images

Comments
December 22, 2010 at 11:06 pm
(1) Michelle Ress says:

It’s hard to believe no one’s left a comment yet. Over on the yahoo news board there are nearly 300 comments and most of them are ugly mean spirited homophobic posts. I can see this is a step forward but until we have same sex marriage there will still be a lot of inequality in the military with regards to dependents and spouses.

It’s just too Bad Obama didn’t sign this into law during his first 100 days and be done with it before bailing out the rich wall street thieves and selling out health care to the insurance industry. Making everyone buy insurance is not universal health care and letting homosexuals get killed in these endless wars is not equal rights for gays.

December 22, 2010 at 11:14 pm
(2) Julia says:

God bless America and especially the Armed Forces. What a banner day indeed! As a DOD civilian employee, I know many gay personnel in the branch for which I work and I am just thrilled for them today. And, speaking from knowledge of the opinions of these many servicemen and women, not many give a flying fig re anyone’s sexual orientation. “We are all the same when the bullets are flying.” On a side note: I have always advocated that gay issues should be treated with as much fervor as any other civil rights matter, so I now hope gay marriage on the Federal level will be achieved.

December 23, 2010 at 2:41 am
(3) Dana says:

Julia, Thank you for posting that. I don’t think anyone really truly cares about sexual orientation when they are dodging bullets. What I’ve heard from my friends, who are active duty, goes right along with the flying fig statement. Unfortunately, I’ve heard some grief from retired Vets who know they will never be active again, but that might be a generational thing too.

December 23, 2010 at 10:55 am
(4) Cassandra says:

My tweet said, “I was afraid it wouldn’t really happen. I’m so proud to have been wrong! http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/12/22/dadt.repeal/index.html :) .”

And that’s the truth too! I was afraid it would never really happen and I am thrilled to be wrong!!

December 23, 2010 at 11:22 am
(5) Ree says:

As a lesbian who was discharged for homosexuality from the armed forces in 1993, just before this hate-filled law was passed, I am extremely gratified for it’s repeal. I am and have always been patriotic. Being a lesbian never prevented me from doing my job and doing it well. Yet hiding my sexuality almost killed my soul and being discharged after being outed caused me to struggle for years with guilt and shame. Today, I am so content that now lesbians and gays can serve their country, do their job and not have to worry about being discharged not for their job performance, but for who they love. It’s been a long time coming.

December 23, 2010 at 11:43 am
(6) Diana says:

I was so happy that this law was passed. The DADT law sent a message that being gay was not acceptable. It only helped to fueled the discrimination in this country against gays and lesbians. I am so glad that peoples ideas and values are changing. Every knows or has a loved one that is gay and I know in my heart that they want them to be treated with the dignity and respect that comes with the statement that “All Men are Created Equal”.

December 23, 2010 at 12:04 pm
(7) Veejay says:

Congratulations America!
Serve proudly in every sense of the word.

December 23, 2010 at 3:10 pm
(8) Katie says:

I agrgged with all but even when people are out in the military sometimes they are treated differently still. Older people are not willing to accept that the world has changed people have changed. Hopefully 5 years from now people will finially cone around and gays won’t be looked down on. And I’m not a fan of obama but there are people who are and he could change the way people look at gays and gays in the military. And the whole don’t ask don’t tell thing is the dumbest thing I have everhave ever heard of, bc it shouldn’t matter!!!! thank you anyone who has served for this country and anyone who has been discharged I’m sorry that had to happen for you and and everyone else who had to deal with such fjbdjfshjd, no one should have to deal with that especially bc going into the military is such a hard choice and being discharged bc your gay i could see how that could ruin someone!

December 23, 2010 at 8:57 pm
(9) Billy says:

I am So Grateful that the ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ policy has been repealed!!! I am Very Proud of Maine’s 2 Republican Senators Susan Collins & Olympia Snow voting to repeal the policy!!! I wrote to both of the Women and requested that they consider voting to repeal the policy!!!

December 24, 2010 at 11:13 am
(10) Julia says:

Senators Collins and Snow rock that is for sure. As a politically-conservative lesbian, I salute the conservatives in Congress who vote for gay rights. Thank goodness for groups like GOProud and Log Cabin Republicans or I would be lost. LOL! Now, people, let’s start the civil rights march toward federally-recognized gay marriages!