1. People & Relationships

Kathy Belge

How Lesbians Get Pregnant

By March 28, 2011

The decision to have a baby is probably one of the biggest and most important ones a woman can make in her lifetime. But unlike most heterosexual women, lesbians have a lot of barriers and expenses when it comes to getting pregnant. Yet, we do it anyway.

Are you a lesbian mom? How did you overcome the legal and medical expenses associated with the process of getting pregnant? What stood in your way and how did you over come those obstacles? Other women will benefit from your story. Please share with us.

Kathy Belge

Comments
March 31, 2011 at 1:21 pm
(1) violetgrl says:

I know. Its east for straight couples. They will understand the struggle that us lesbian and gay couples have to go through. My partner and I would like to know how someone can have children without complication. Please comment.

March 31, 2011 at 5:01 pm
(2) Jen says:

I have been doing a lot of research and I have found that this is not as hard as it used to be, It dose depend on the state of which you live in, how you obtain the donor, and what medical provider you have.
My Partner and I live in California fortunately we were legally married on June 17th how ever Domestic partnership dose give legal rights for both partners on the birth certificate.
Having Kaiser Permmente health care seems to be the easiest and most excepting of same sex partners that we have found, with assistance on doner storage if you have a donor who is willing to go to the Kaiser facility and insemination with your OBGYN.
The donor clinics that we have looked in to, really make the whole process really easy as well.
Any Legal issues that we have found has been when considering adoption. The attorney fees, plus you have to meet the county certifications and many other hoops that they require you to jump through. I know it dosnt really asnwere every question, but I hope it helps..

March 31, 2011 at 6:11 pm
(3) sam says:

My wife and I are currently pregnant with our second child. The first I carried we got inseminated in Virginia and this time we ordered the same donor sperm ,had it shipped here and she is now 3 weeks pregnant. The process is not difficult. The first go round our insurance did not cover it, this time it has, however the cost is very similar. The entire process purchasing sperm and inseminations was under 2,000 I believe. It was not difficult finding a clinic either and we currently reside in Texas. If you plan to do it best of luck. And the best advice I have received was from my mother. She said do it now don’t wait until you have enough time or money because you never will, and unlike heterosexual couples there are not accidents. I’m so grateful we listened to her.

March 31, 2011 at 9:10 pm
(4) Caity says:

Anyone who lives in Canada know all the options and the estimate or exact costs?

April 2, 2011 at 11:55 am
(5) ashley says:

is it possible if they take your egg cells,get a sperm donour and then planted in your partner that the baby will take after u and your partner?(will the child get both me and my partner genes or looks?)

April 2, 2011 at 12:01 pm
(6) Hilary says:

Ashley,

It is possible for one partner to donate eggs to be implanted in the other, however the genetic contribution still comes from the woman’s egg and the donor’s sperm. The partner carrying the baby would certainly feel a special bond with the baby, but her carrying the baby would not effect hair color, eye color, blood type, etc.

April 2, 2011 at 8:30 pm
(7) Tracy says:

My wife and I found a known fresh donor in California. We would pick up the fresh sperm and I inseminated using a syringe vaginally. The third month we conceived and our sweet little girl is now 14 months old. Anyone in California can google free sperm donor in CA to get the details. He has a contract that we all sign that allows him to give up his parental rights and also states that it is ok for the child to know his as an adult. He has fathered a few babies with no major complications. Before that we used frozen sperm shipped to our house. She got pregnant the second month but miscarried at 8 weeks. All in all, I think that children of lesbian couples are truly loved because they have to be wanted extremely bad to make it a reality.

April 9, 2011 at 10:19 am
(8) Ashley says:

Ok I have a question really. Me and my girlfriend are just basically startin out. We have only been together once but she lives 3 hours away from me. But anywho she has known for a long time that I want a family, a baby. She is quite a bit older then I am, but she dont wanna have a baby. She already has kids that are grown. I want to be with her and have a family with her. We were meant for each other and I dont wanna lose her over this. What do I do???

Confused

October 8, 2012 at 10:59 pm
(9) sewitseems says:

hi there – a question for the party from California who used Kaiser. We are planning for # 2 and have heard the same. Did they cover 50% (the usual) for IUI or other donor insemination procuedures?