1. People & Relationships

Kathy Belge

For Chelsea it Gets Better

By May 31, 2011

Chelsea is a lesbian teen from rural Texas who wrote in to share her coming out story. Things were pretty bad for Chelsea for a while. Neither of her parents accepted her being a lesbian and took away her privileges and her computer. Kids at school made fun of her and she had thoughts of ending it all. Kids from school stole her journal and read all of her private thoughts.

The bullying she endured is hard to think about.

Eventually, I started thinking, what is wrong with me? Why am I so different from all the other girls? Why do I dress like this? Always afraid of what my family and friends would think, I could never talk to anyone about it. Eventually my secret caught up with me. In junior high I was called a lesbo, queer, dyke, or my favorite, C.W.D, also known as"chick with a dick". I didn't know what to do and I wanted people to think I was just like all the other girls my age. Every once in a while I would catch my self dressing "girlie", but it just wasn't me. I thought maybe it would help if I just shrugged it off, but honestly deep down inside, I really did care.

But then hope came from the most unexpected place. Her family moved to Alabama and although she did still get taunts and harassed, she found a few friends that made all the difference. For Chelsea, it did get better.

oscar williams
Comments
June 1, 2011 at 11:35 am
(1) surgicalgirl says:

Coming out doesn’t have to be the end of the world, for anyone. It may not go smoothly initially, but given time, we can all find some peace, within ourselves. I think the biggest mistake a lot of homosexuals make is, they depend on external acceptance and peace.

June 3, 2011 at 9:33 pm
(2) Salty says:

I’ve never been In so didn’t have to come Out. I’ve only told one person that I am “gay” because I didn’t have a word to rhyme with – lesbian. HA! She was a new friend who knew about me before I let her read some of my poems. :)

I also think some not straight people care too much about being accepted by others so don’t accept themselves or hide themselves. I didn’t grow up around gay people so I had to find my way on my own but always did it being myself even when that meant spending time by myself. Looking at me no one would know that I’m a lesbian but I’ve never pretended to be interested in men just to try to fit in.

People come and go in our lives but we are always with ourselves. I like me. I like that I was strong enough to not give myself away just to be accepted by others.

June 9, 2011 at 4:15 pm
(3) mandy says:

very proud of you for sticking through it Chelsea!! not easy but it makes us all stronger.

June 10, 2011 at 1:04 am
(4) PR says:

Many many moons ago I was asked by my Mom if I was. After the hurt and anger because I didn’t lie. I (after many hours of argueing, fighting, being disowned and crying), I asked my Mom if she had known in Eutero that I was a Lesbian, would she have chosen abortion??? She started crying and said no. Hang in there. You are who you are no matter what!!!

June 11, 2011 at 5:14 am
(5) Bruce says:

Why do people still treat others so badly?

Where I live it’s not so bad (Australia), I feel that gay people around here a just a welcome as every other person on the street. However there is always someone that will upset your day if they can.

June 11, 2011 at 1:05 pm
(6) latasha swain says:

do not worry about what people say if you are ashame are what you are you would never be happy when god call you home he is the only one that is going to judge you you are young just started out be who you are if your so called friends make fun of you they are not your friends from the start,right now mom and dad dont uderstand people are going to tell you you are going to hell they are not god only one person can judge you and thats god bay read your bible jesus love us all the same your mom and dad will come around until then ask god to help them understand you love ya