1. People & Relationships

Kathy Belge

Jodie Foster Comes Out (Again)

By January 14, 2013

Jodie FosterJodie Foster came out last night at the Golden Globe Awards. Or at least that's what people are saying. I thought Jodie Foster already came out in 2007 when she thanked her then-partner Cydney Bernard at an awards ceremony for the Hollywood Reporter. I guess that proclamation wasn't enough for some and apparently Jodie felt hounded by the media to come out. At least that's what she insinuated in her acceptance speech last night at the Golden Globes. Even though Jodie did acknowledge that she is, in fact, a lesbian and has been out for years to people in her life, there has been a mixed reaction to Jodie Foster's coming out. Granted, the speech she gave was somewhat confusing and certainly defensive. I was left shaking my head. Did she just come out? What did you think of Jodie Foster's coming out speech last night?

David Livingston/Getty Images

Comments
January 15, 2013 at 1:55 pm
(1) JamieM says:

She acknowledged that she is a lesbian? Where? When? She never said “I am gay” or “I am a lesbian”. All she did was come out. As what, we still don’t know.

Plus, acknowledging that you are in a relationship with another woman doesn’t mean you’re a lesbian. Many straight and bisexual women have relationships with other women and then date men again.

January 15, 2013 at 11:00 pm
(2) Pat says:

Wow! Jodie Foster was refreshingly open, brilliant and emotionally poignant in her speech that night. And awww that part when she said “I love you” three times to her mom was so so beautiful. I loved it! She’s an amazing woman.

January 15, 2013 at 11:41 pm
(3) Amy Mitchell says:

Why should she have to “come out?” You don’t see heterosexual people announcing their sexual preferences! She doesn’t deny who she is, she just doesn’t feel the need to announce it. AND SHE SHOULDN’T HAVE TO! We need to stop treating homosexuality like something people need to admit to. It’s normal and natural. And it’s NOT WRONG!

January 16, 2013 at 10:20 am
(4) Al says:

What sad news that Jodie Foster said she will never act again.

January 16, 2013 at 7:19 pm
(5) Katie says:

Her speech was really quite brilliant. She’s always been a private person, so saying she’s gay by not saying it was quite a witty presentation choice.

Honestly I think the subtlety of it was lost on the masses. At no point in her speech did she even imply that she was retiring, yet speculation is rife regarding her career.

Personally, I loved it. Not everyone will agree. But to Jodie Foster I say you are a classy woman.

January 17, 2013 at 11:31 am
(6) KARINA says:

I think that her speech was awesome, she brought me to tears. But is wasn’t a sorprise! I knew that she was a lesbian since 90′s.
So good for her!

January 17, 2013 at 2:59 pm
(7) LEE says:

Who cares about coming out? During my wait in the doctor’s office today the radio djs were on discussing the whole politics of her speech and how it’s about time she came out, etc….
If I’m not mistaken, she has been out for years by just being herself.
For heaven’s sake it’s just another label for the idiotics to be bigots.

January 17, 2013 at 4:28 pm
(8) Ti says:

Is it not more important that she lives her life being true to herself and to those close to her? I have admired her since she first starred in movies so long ago. My admiration of Jodi comes from her strength of character, not whether she outs herself to the world.
While young people struggling with their own orientation benefit from openly gay people who can serve as role models, it is not a requirement for anyone well known in society to come out.

January 17, 2013 at 8:56 pm
(9) Julia says:

Well said, Amy, Katie, and Lee. Thanku.

January 22, 2013 at 3:18 am
(10) Thea says:

I guess this’ll be a disappointment to John Hinkley, Jr. Sorry, John. Hahahahaha. It was all for nothing.