If you’re looking to spice up your sex life, going to a sex toy store might be the thing that inspires you or adds a bit of spark to your love life. But walking into a sex toy store can be intimidating if you’ve never been to one. You might be wondering if they’ll accept your lesbian or bisexual sexuality or if you’ll be judged at all for the things that interest you or if you’ll feel ignorant around all the different paraphernalia in the store. Here are some things to consider before heading to a sex toy store for the first time.
- Do a bit of research about the store you plan to visit. If they have a website, check it out. You’ll get a pretty good feeling about the energy and vibe of the store by checking out their website. Do they look like they’re female-friendly or do you see a lot of degrading images of women? You’ll probably want to visit a store that caters to women and lesbians and has women on staff. If you don’t have a good sex toy store in your area, be sure to visit one if you’re on vacation. Many larger cities have quality women-friendly stores.
- Ask around or check out online reviews such as Yelp to see what kind of reputation the store has. You can even call and ask if they have a lesbian section or if they have sex toys for lesbians. You should be able to tell from how they talk to you on the phone if they’re the kind of store you would feel welcome in or want to spend your money at.
- There are a lot of sex stores online, but nothing can compare to visiting a store in person. You can see the products in person, touch them and ask questions about them.
- Go into the store with an open mind. You might think you’re going in for a dildo, but might come home with a rabbit vibrator instead. Take your time and look around at what’s for sale. You might discover something you would like to try.
- Plan to spend some time exploring the different merchandise. Don’t be afraid to pick things up, feel them and turn them on. If you have any questions about something, ask the staff about it.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions. If you see something and you don’t know what it is or how it would be used sexually, ask. Staff at quality sex toy stores are there to not only sell merchandise, but to educate as well.
- Before you buy something, ask about the materials it is made from. How will it hold up? How do you clean it? What kind of lube is okay to use with it? Some sex toys are not compatible with certain lube. Some toys are made with non-toxic materials and others are best enjoyed with a condom. Make sure you know if it needs batteries, how many, what kind and where they go and how to change them. If you see two similar products and one costs a lot more, don’t be afraid to ask why.
- Ask for opinions and recommendations from the staff, but remember that everyone is different. Don’t buy something just because it’s recommended if you don’t think you will use it or if it looks like it won’t be comfortable or fun for you and your partner.
- Remember, sex toys aren’t just for partner play. If you see something you’d like to use on yourself, go ahead and splurge.