- Directed by Chris Columbus
- 135 Minutes
- Genre: Musical/Rock Opera
- Official site for the Movie
- Cast: Anthony Rapp, Adam Pascal, Rosario Dawson, Jesse L. Martin, Wilson Jermaine Heredia
I love Rent!
When I heard that a movie was in production, I was wary. How could anything come close to the original? Nearly ten years later, I found myself mesmerized once again. Here are my top reasons to see Rent.
1. La Vie BohemeBased on Puccinis opera La Boheme, Rent tells the story of a group of bohemian artists struggling to live and pay rent in New York Citys edgy East Village during the 1980s. They face numerous challenges including poverty, eviction, drug addiction, AIDS as well as more universal ones of love, commitment, and identity. They strive to live truthfully in a world that wants to denounce and deny their truths. Their struggles are as real and relevant today.
2. Seasons of Love
3. Rosario DawsonI first fell in love with Rosario Dawson when she appeared in Kids; then, again, when I saw her in 25th Hour. Wow!! I cant quite describe the sensation(s) I felt when seeing her in Rent. Lets just say fishnet stockings. I nearly fainted. Cant wait for the DVD!
4. Lions and Tigers and Queers, Oh My!
Speaking of vibrantthere is a rather fiery lesbian couple, Maureen (played by the seductive Idina Menzel) and Joanne (played with subtle potency by Tracie Thoms), in the film. Watch them flirt and spar and declare their commitment to each other as well as their independence. One of their resonant duets is entitled, Take me or Leave me. Word of advice: memorize the song. You may need it some day. (Honey, Take me for what I am. Who I was meant to be. And if you give a damn. Take me baby or leave me. Hmmmm Well see how that goes over.)
5. Jonathan Larson
My Rating: 4 ½ Stars