Question: Why Get Married if it's not Legal?
If you live live in a place that doesn't recognize gay marriage, why bother to get married at all?
Answer: Sure, if you marry in a state that doesn't recognize it, you won't be able to file a joint tax return or be eligible for each other's medical insurance, but does that mean you should not have a great commitment ceremony or lesbian wedding? Of course not! There are many reasons to get married. Here are just a few of them.
- Marriage is something that society understands. When you say you're getting married, the true nature of your relationship becomes clear to your friends, family and co-workers.
- Because lesbians and gay men have dreamed of lavish weddings as children, just as straight kids do.
- There is something very powerful about proclaiming your intentions in front the people in your life.
- It's a great excuse to throw a big party and have a lot of fun!
- A wedding gives a couple a sense of security.
- It gives our friends and family an opportunity to stand up for us and support us.
- To make a political statement about gay and lesbian marriage.
- It sends a good message to your children.