1. People & Relationships
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

Discuss in my forum

How To Get Married in Massachusetts


Now that Massachusetts is allowing gay and lesbians couples from out of state to marry, you'll want to know how to get married in Massachusetts for gay and lesbian couples.
Time Required: Three Days or More

Here's How:

  1. Make Sure You're Eligible

    You must be 18 years old, not married to anyone else and not be closely related by blood or marriage.
  2. Obtain Marriage License

    Both people who are marrying must appear in person at any city or town hall and fill out the application form called a Notice of Intention of Marriage. On this form you will be asked:
    1. Name
    2. Date of Birth
    3. Occupation
    4. Address of residence
    5. Number of previous marriages and how the last marriage ended (death or divorce)
    6. Existence of present or former Civil Union or state-created Domestic Partnership, and dissolution status, if any
    7. Birthplace
    8. Full name of parents (including middle and maiden names)
    9. Gender
    10. Disclosure of whether applicants are related by blood or marriage
  3. Wait Three Days

    After a three-day waiting period go back to the city or town hall where you filed your application and receive the license. The license is valid for 60 days starting from the day after you filed the notice of intention.
  4. Say "I Do!"

    Have a wedding ceremony within the state of Massachusetts. The marriage must be solemnized by an official such as a Justice of the Peace or member of the clergy. He or she will then send the license back to the clerk and your marriage will be officially registered by the state.


  1. Find a Justice of the Peace
  2. If you wish to use clergy from out of state, special permission must be obtained from the Governor's office. The clergy person needs to contact the Secretary of the Commonwealth Public Records Division, One Ashburton Place, Room 1719, Boston, MA 02108, 617-727-2836.
  3. Massachusetts law does not require a witness for your ceremony.
  4. If you have a civil union or domestic partnership, you can marry without dissolving it, as long as you are marrying the same person.

What You Need

  • Proof of age, such as Birth Certificate or Passport
  • Money - Fees vary from county to county
    Source: Glad.org
  1. About.com
  2. People & Relationships
  3. Lesbian Life
  4. Same-Sex Marriage
  5. Lesbian Weddings
  6. Get Married in Massachusetts - How to Get Married in Massachusetts

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.