1. People & Relationships

I never thought I'd see this day, Jodie Foster has come out as a lesbian. Jodie Foster was presented with a women in leadership award by the Hollywood Reporter on Tuesday. In her acceptance speech, Jodie thanked “my beautiful Cydney who sticks with me through all the rotten and the bliss.” Cydney Bernard has long been thought to be Jodie Foster's partner. The two co-parent two children.

Although the gay media has long speculated about Jodie Foster's homosexuality, she has kept her private life very private. Out magazine featured Jodie Foster on the cover earlier this year in an article about why gays in Hollywood don't come out.

In our Lesbian Life Poll, you have overwhelmingly voted that you thought Jodie Foster was a lesbian. Now we know for sure.

For now, we can only speculate as to why she came out. Perhaps it was because her children are getting older and she didn't want them to think there was anything wrong with being gay--no reason to hide it. Perhaps she was simply sick and tired of life in the closet. Perhaps she decided to take control and out herself before someone else did. Whatever her reasons, we are pleased that Jodie found the courage to be true to herself. Thank you Jodie Foster.

Has Jodie Foster inspired you to come out of the closet? Read this before you come out of the closet.
© Photo by Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty Images

Comments
December 6, 2007 at 8:04 pm
(1) Ariel says:

GO JODIE!

December 7, 2007 at 3:15 am
(2) voice of reason says:

Just because she hadn’t publicly mentioned her sexual orientation in the past doesn’t mean that she was in the closet.

December 7, 2007 at 8:45 am
(3) Acquafortis says:

Somehow I do agree with voice of reason. Sometimes blurting it out has no sense.
Then who actually knows what is best to do and when to do it.
Jodie thought now is the best time to come out or simply it came out naturally as in any other relationship when one feels serene and safe about one’s life.

December 7, 2007 at 8:59 am
(4) jen says:

Did Jodie actually say the words “I am a lesbian”? If not, then she might be bisexual. It’s not because she’s in a relationship with a woman that she’s gay.

December 7, 2007 at 9:03 am
(5) Karen Greene says:

Good for you, Jodie! It is so freeing to be who you are and not worry about the reaction of the world.

To thine own self be true!

December 9, 2007 at 8:04 pm
(6) Cariad says:

Rock on, Jodie! Proud to call you one of our own.

December 12, 2007 at 9:37 pm
(7) Daniel says:

Just because you found another person who acts against nature and is GODless doesn’t mean your scoring any points on the day of Judgement. All will stand before the throne and some will fall…and be without excuse.

December 13, 2007 at 11:21 am
(8) Fellow lesbian says:

Yeah! She is a great role model for all. You go girl!

December 13, 2007 at 12:17 pm
(9) MAKENA (Toast and Siena) says:

=>Daniel – Glad you commented, so we can point other readers who might be affected by your words, over to our podcast and especially episode #23 Homosexuality and the Bible (and #36, Gargantuan Coming Out Episode). Today, just as in the past days during the fight over slavery and women’s rights, the Bible is being misused and abused to justify the mistreatment of people.

=>voice of reason, and jen — Agree with your points. Thanks for posting them!

And still, it does help in making “being gay” or “being bisexual” simply OKAY in our society (as it should be, and as it is in others), to have Jodie Foster, with her reputation and visibility, speak of her relationship with openness and normality. For that, we’re thankful!

December 15, 2007 at 1:07 am
(10) Ted says:

I think it’s smashing that Jodie has come out. She obviously thought the time was right for her… and at the end of the day it is her decision.
This straight man applauds you.

December 15, 2007 at 10:20 am
(11) sweetie says:

I tend to agree with Jen. Did she actually say the words? I understand all of the speculation over the years and the desire to confirm, etc. But for all we know, Cydney could be a close friend. In our anxiousness for that confirmation, are we too quick to cling to any morsel that may sound like what we want something to be?

Thanks for the chance to comment. I enjoy your newsletter!

December 19, 2007 at 9:55 am
(12) Geri says:

Have to agree with Jen. If Jodie Foster says she’s a lesbian then fine she’s a lesbian. Jodie Foster publicly acknowledges her relationship with another woman – that does not necessarily mean she is a lesbian.

Consider that other fine actress Saffron Burrows – bisexual in a lesbian relationship.

Lesbian Life you are guilty of making biphobic assumptions and should make an apology.

I’m bi btw & frankly I’m feeling disgusted by your reporting.

December 19, 2007 at 4:30 pm
(13) souknw says:

yeah… and being a woman, having a relationship with a man and having kids makes you straight…

Everyone’s a bit bi anyway…

December 27, 2007 at 3:31 pm
(14) Tracy says:

Was that her coming out ?? To me it does not sound like a definitive coming out to me but some are so desperate for her to come out hopefully it satisfies those people.

December 28, 2007 at 11:27 pm
(15) Mimi says:

she’s super cool! i just saw the brave one. ultra hotness!!!!!!

June 27, 2008 at 4:23 am
(16) Barbie says:

Who cares? I have absolutely no idea why people are so interested in and enamored with other people’s sexual orientation. Are your lives so boring or are you so weak that you need others to validate your own existence. be yourself but keep it to yourself!

October 4, 2009 at 1:13 pm
(17) cynderella says:

NO Big Surprise……..I always thought she was……because she acted so boy-like and looked like a boy from the time I can remember !

May 19, 2010 at 10:03 am
(18) JONAH MANALAC says:

ALL people deserve to be happy. Let it be that way. We are never to judge, so as NOT to be judged.

May 31, 2010 at 7:38 am
(19) jonahmanalac says:

We should NOT judge anybody. WHO are we anyway???
I LIKE YOU MS. JODIE. STAY HAPPY AND BE HAPPY ALWAYS…
I’M A FAN OF YOURS FROM THE PHILIPPINES!

June 11, 2010 at 5:33 pm
(20) SoonerGirl606 says:

I agree 100% with Barbie:

“Who cares? I have absolutely no idea why people are so interested in and enamored with other people’s sexual orientation. Are your lives so boring or are you so weak that you need others to validate your own existence. Be yourself but keep it to yourself!”

Why on earth do all these celebrities (or anyone else, for that matter!) think the rest of the human race any desire to know what they choose to do, with which gender they choose, and in whose bed they choose to do it??????? HELLO? Why do you think WE care to know?????? There is more to life than that and it would be nice to not constantly hear someone else has decided to bare their soul. I DON’T WANT TO KNOW SO PLEASE JUST KEEP YOUR BEDROOM HABITS TO YOURSELF!!!! I am not judging you–God will do that to all of us one day. Celebrate all you want but just please stop sharing all the intimate details of your life with the general public. Go tell your dog or cat!

September 22, 2010 at 12:02 am
(21) Mark says:

It is so sad to see yet another starlet fall into the wickedness of homosexuality. America is guilty of glorifying what God has clearly condemned in His Word. Shame on you Jodie Foster! Shame on the entire homosexual community for encouraging others to sin. May God have mercy on your souls.

Dr. E

October 18, 2010 at 3:03 pm
(22) TrishTheDish says:

RE: SoonerGirl606 & Barbie

“Who Cares?” eveidentally you care, you want to know whats going on in their lives & you want to know Jodie & other celebs life choices… OTHERWISE WHY ARE YOU READING THIS, WHY DID YOU READ THE ARTICLE ABOUT JODIE, WHY ARE YOU EVEN ON A LESBIAN NEWSLETTER… BECAUSE you WANT TO KNOW. SO EVEIDENTALLY you CARE.
WHY DO PEOPLE WANT TO KNOW, becuz its human nature to care about others, its gossip & everyone always listens to gossip whether they like whats said or not, and becuz you never see someone w/a man – then you want to know if they are w/a woman. Its taken 14 yrs for her to barely let you know she appreciates & lives w/a girl, and raises children w/her & is Very Special. She just doesnt want her name smeared all over the tabloids about it. Like it is now. I am a straight woman, who had a previous relationship for 1 yr w/a woman. 1 yr out of 38 yrs, does not make me bi or a lesbian. I lived a lesbian life for awhile w/a woman I loved, I dont look @ woman in general that way any more. I have been w/my husband for 6 yrs now, and plan to be w/him for the rest of our lives. The sexual satifaction I receive from this man took away any slight interest I had in women. I’m not a hater by no means. But I dont think just becuz I was w/a woman that makes me a lesbian now or bi. It means I was a lesbian when I was w/a woman. I am straight becuz I find my sexual desires in a man. Yes Jodie is a lesbian if she finds her sexual desires in a woman, no she doesnt need to tell “THE PUBLIC” what her sexual desires are. She has no obligation to define her lifestyles or choices to anyone.

December 10, 2011 at 4:24 am
(23) Kina says:

I don’t understand why people read this and say,” who cares, you have no lives for caring”

My question is, why do even care to read this if you don’t care, or have a.so called life.

Anyway. Yay! Although, i agree with some, its definitely not news. Just kinda a halleluah for her to just cone clean

Love you, Jodie!

August 17, 2012 at 6:59 pm
(24) john says:

Miss Foster i don’t know wether to believe that you admitted you were a lesbian, but isn’t it a sad fact that we are lulled into the belief that everyone must know our every thought and action when you don’t tell you are the lowest. And as far as the media goes i wouldn’t trust them as far as i could throw them, if they can’t find something they will make it up, anything to make a quick buck,no matter who it hurts. If the rumour is true about your preference of partners, so what it’s your life, live it as you see fit,just keep doing what you do well. regards John.