1. People & Relationships

I think if there's one person in the world I would not like to be it's Mary Cheney. She didn't choose to be a spokesperson for the gay and lesbian community, but by virtue of her father's occupation, she has been put in a glaring spotlight. As the lesbian daughter of a vice president who is against gay marriage, gay and lesbian activists wanted her to speak up and state her personal opinion. Right wing republicans and fundamentalists criticized her her and her decision to have a baby. Seems like the poor girl could not win. But one area in her life where she has been blessed is her family. Mary Cheney has been with her partner Heather Poe since 1992. The two have a son and live outside of Washington, DC and are out of the spotlight for now. Learn more about Mary Cheney and Heather Poe, how they met and what they like to do together.
Photo courtesy of Fox News
Comments
December 13, 2007 at 10:09 pm
(1) canad says:

I agree. I feel sorry for her in a way although Im quite confident she doesnt feel sorry for herself. To balance the love and respect she obviously feels for her parents against who she really is has to be tough. At least shes honest enough not to hide. Understated class and dignity describes Mary Cheney.

December 14, 2007 at 8:35 am
(2) sapphist says:

Feel sorry for her? Give me a break. She actively worked to bring the Bush/Cheney regime to power and keep it in power…while collecting a huge paycheck from them. The fact is that she is insulated from much of the discrimination the rest of us face. Because of her position of power and priviledge, she will probably never have to deal with being fired for being gay, denied hospital visitation if Heather is sick or injured, or have to fight the courts to keep custody of her child. She makes the same mistake that most tokenized minorities within the Republican part make. Because SHE hasn’t personally faced adversity and discrimination she believes that the rest of us are just whining when we should just pull ourselves up by our bootstraps and then everything would be ok for us and none of us would face discrimination or other barriers because of our sexual orientation. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work that way and she is either naive or heartless to suggest it.

December 14, 2007 at 2:35 pm
(3) Tina-cious.com says:

I gotta agree with sapphist. I have no sympathy for her. Her father and his boss are soo anti-gay it’s not even funny.

Her only options in that circumstance was to distance herself from his political career. He doesn’t support her entire existence.

Working for him knowing he’d throw her (and the rest of us) to the wolves is disgusting.

Not like she cares what I think — or any of us — even if she did shed a tear for our fight, she’d just wipe it up with the blood money that daddy is lining her pockets with.

December 14, 2007 at 4:44 pm
(4) canad says:

Sapphist and Tina,

You two have some excellent points and I dont disagree with anything youve elucidated. Im just saying as an individual who loves her father, shes in a tough spot. Internal conflict? Yeah there has to be. At least shes honest enough to be out. You both are entirely correct IMO.

December 17, 2007 at 10:06 am
(5) Tina-cious.com says:

Canad — I feel for her having an anti-gay father since I have an anti-gay mother — but I wouldn’t help my mother in her quest to suppress our rights.

She can totally love her father and family without helping him hurt us.

December 25, 2007 at 5:13 am
(6) Tracy says:

Its rare that you see two masculine women together – kind of refreshing.

November 13, 2008 at 5:46 pm
(7) David says:

I have met Mary several times back in the 90′s when she was USEING her lesbian status to promote herself and her career and she is just as mean spirited as her father. She worked the Gay and Lesbeian community as the Director of Gay and Lesbian relations for Coors Brewing and then sold out for the GOP, family money and self interest.

November 18, 2009 at 3:11 pm
(8) Lee Washington says:

As a straight male Democrat i simply see the inconsistancys of the Republican Party on display. They used the Gay marriage issue to further their cause but express love for Cheney’s daughter. This is the height of hypocracy and is the hallmark of republicanism. These people hate Gays but are totally quiet when it comes to child molestation, i.e. congrssional page scandle ,etc,etc. This is just another facet of their use of anything that will further their cause. the Rich and their interests over all.

February 4, 2010 at 3:21 pm
(9) amwre says:

tracy: really? “two masculine females” way to buy into gender roles. Mary has absolutely no sympathy from me. She helped unleash a monster on the public for 8 yrs and we are still trying to clean up the mess the administration left behind. I dont care if she’s a lesbian or not. She is a horrid person and I hope her son questions her motives when he is of age. I hope he realizes his mother is a hypocrite and has actively worked againt equality amongst her own people.