1. People & Relationships

My sister turned me on to Rachel Maddow, host of The Rachel Maddow Show on Air America. "She's smart, she's funny, she talks politics, but she's upbeat," my sister said. I tuned into her show on Air America and downloaded her podcast. I quickly became impressed with her wit and political savvy. Oh, and she's an out lesbian. Rachel Maddow is about to get her her own show on MSNBC, the first openly gay or lesbian person to host a prime time news show. I got to meet Rachel Maddow briefly after she spoke at Northampton Gay Pride back in May.

I predict Rachel Maddow will be American's next lesbian darling (after Ellen), even if there's one thing Ellen does that Rachel says she will never do. Who is Rachel Maddow?
Rachel Maddow with Kathy Belge, courtesy of Kathy Belge

Comments
August 27, 2008 at 9:10 pm
(1) avrilvega says:

I love Rachel Maddow! She’s so cute and funny. I love her facial expressions and the way her eyes light up when she laughs.
Yes, I have a bit of a crush!! I have been a big fan for 3 years now. So glad she is getting some attention from the general public. Her political analyis is without question the most intelligent and correct analysis out there.

August 27, 2008 at 10:52 pm
(2) Janeway says:

I quite agree; I have a HUGE crush on Rachel Maddow. I thoroughly enjoy seeing her in the pundit slots on MSNBC, mainly because she’s actually able to put the right wingers in their place without using their tactic of shouting the enemy down.

LOVE her radio show; does this new TV slot mean the radio show is over, then? Because I suspect she’s able to get away with a lot more on Air America than she can on television.

August 29, 2008 at 10:49 pm
(3) avrilvega says:

Yes–I loved her radio show. But I look forward to her show on MSNBC even though they make her wear tons of makeup! I like her on those youtube videos where she is just herself. Oh well, guess you can’t have it all!

September 8, 2008 at 11:16 pm
(4) Laura says:

I hooked up with her after the gay pride rally. She has a 7 inch penis.

September 9, 2008 at 8:58 pm
(5) Jenny says:

Maddow looks like the typical lesbo. I wish they wold start showing lesbians like me who are more attractive. It would help our cause.

September 13, 2008 at 10:55 pm
(6) Levy says:

I love Rachel Maddow so much. I love seeing her on MSNBS. Go Maddow you are gorgeous!
Levy

September 15, 2008 at 10:21 pm
(7) Pamela says:

Racheal, after watching your show at night. I find it a lot easy to get to sleep at night. Compared to some of the other T.V. shows (CNN) thank God for you girl!
Pamela

September 21, 2008 at 4:22 pm
(8) cruisemates says:

Rachel Maddow makes me sick. Her attacks on Sarah Palin add up to a lesbian being anti-feminist simply because she disagrees with Palin’s politics.

According to Maddow’s stance, you cannot be a respectable woman and enjoy typical male attributes like hunting or sports. She knocks her mercilessly for being a Christian, but I wouldn’t doubt Maddow herself has used the line “I am as God made me.”

Rachel, I respect lesbians choice to live their lives openly. Why attack Palin for doing the same? Palin vetoed a bill in Alaska banning gay marriages because she felt it was unconstitutional. She cancelled a “right-to-life” session in Alaska her predecessors had scheduled.

In other words, Palin speaks highly of you, why spread lies about her?

For example, is it a LIE that she put the jet on Ebay? no, she did do that – twice. It just didn’t sell.

Is it a LIE that she told congress “No Thanks” for the bridge to nowhere? No, that is what she told them eventually, though she did pursue it at first.

I don’t mind factual reporting, but to work for a TV station where your bias is so obviously showing is not respectable.

October 3, 2008 at 9:38 pm
(9) ann sukatit says:

rachel’s dick is bigger than olbermanns

October 11, 2008 at 4:25 pm
(10) Doovey says:

Maddow for prez! Are you kidding? She represents like no one’s business! While I am THRILLED that she is out…(and I guess this is about as inevitable as the mainstream media getting over the fact that Obama is black) I wish the mm would get over it! Yes, I too have a crippling crush (where has she been all my life when I have felt sourrounded by straight girls and alpha males?!) — but she is too awesome to be stashed away on some late night time slot or air america. The MSNBC show hopefully is the beginning of the mainstreaming of RM…yes, the makeup is annoying, but get real people, Obama had to dump Wright. As for dude the palin appologist…dude, I haven’t the time.

October 17, 2008 at 9:13 pm
(11) ann sukatit says:

Maddow is a vacuous lightweight who is particularly unaccomplished except to push a lesbian agenda.

October 31, 2008 at 6:25 pm
(12) chris m says:

What a lightweight. Maddow was only picked because of MSNBC’s liberal agenda. Select qualified people for a job…although that doesn’t seem to be in fashion anymore.

November 4, 2008 at 1:03 am
(13) firsttimer says:

I watched this show for the first time ever, tonight. Impression: too sarcastic & passive-aggressive, too superior, and too much lesbianism than what should be in a news show. Just didn’t seem normal. Good luck to her, but I won’t be watching again. She definely loves her own opinion.

November 14, 2008 at 10:46 pm
(14) MO says:

go Girl!

November 28, 2008 at 3:02 am
(15) blue says:

isn’t it odd all the lesbian bashers posting on a lesbian website? hmm. strange hobby to have, no? and the fake posters pretending to be lesbians criticizing Maddow are equally as transparent.

clearly, they are threatened by rachel’s appeal. and intellect. and charm. and wit. and cuteness. and all around fabulosity.

December 5, 2008 at 12:13 am
(16) not_a_lesbian says:

Ms. Maddow was a Rhodes Scholar and is a Stanford graduate.

She is anything but a “vacuous lightweight”.

I do think she acts a bit to “twinkly” on the show — a bit more decorum would be perfect.

January 11, 2009 at 3:00 am
(17) LZW says:

Does not look anything like she does on TV… Is that even the same person?

January 13, 2009 at 11:12 pm
(18) you says:

Barack is really white..his MOTHER that gave birth to him after 9 months was impreagnated by a climax from a black guy…9 months versus 3 seconds!!

January 24, 2009 at 7:29 pm
(19) thedog says:

What a great world.. Men wanting to be Women because Women want to be Men!

I enjoy Women, especially dominating.

February 18, 2009 at 9:44 pm
(20) Don Robison says:

I can’t watch her. Something about a middle aged woman acting like a teenager, disturbs me.

February 25, 2009 at 1:09 am
(21) Jeff Canuck says:

I have a crush on Rachel and I’m a straight male. But hey, she’s a hottie. Oh yes, and brilliant. But still hot.

And lovable. So lovable :)

February 26, 2009 at 12:27 am
(22) Brian says:

Ms. Maddow articulate’s herself in the same manner and expressions as Keith Olberman. it was very clear from the onset of her debut on MSNBC that she was gay. So now we have to make
a big deal that a Lesbian has a primetime show
I thought that was accomplished with Ellen? I find her commentary a daily copy cat of Keith.
MSNBC is to liberal to be un-bias. This news agency was pro Obama from the start! Pitty.

March 13, 2009 at 11:59 pm
(23) Rick says:

Ok, your gay. But do you have to look like a guy?

May 2, 2009 at 4:29 pm
(24) Ann says:

I think it’s hysterical that all the little homophobes flock to any Rachel Maddow article where they can type their silly little rants. Threatened by the smart gay girl perhaps? She doesn’t want to be a man, she just happens to be a woman who prefers women and reading some of the comments, who can blame her. Secondly, 36 years old is hardly middle-aged. Rachel has fun and doesn’t take herself to seriously which is refreshing on talk tv. As far as MSNBC being liberal, yes at night they are, but they don’t back away from that proclamation either. Your friends at Faux (I’m guessing you’re a neo-con Brian) tell all the simpletons of the world who watch nightly to have their bigotry justified that they’re fair and balanced…and because they said so it must be true!!! At least MSNBC doesn’t pretend (and outright LIE) to be something they’re not.

I think Rachel’s awesome, smart, funny, witty, and her sexuality is irrelevant to people who tune in to watch in earnest. Most of the right wing bashers never gave her an honest chance. The picture above isn’t one of her best, but she’s a nice looking girl, not beautiful, but nice looking in a normal person kind of way.

May 5, 2009 at 3:09 am
(25) butch says:

I love Rachel’s “madams apple”

October 30, 2009 at 12:47 am
(26) stevie says:

haiku for rachel. rachel arises/panther panting after prey/cat defending love.

December 21, 2009 at 12:22 am
(27) Mike says:

Put her back on Air America. Better heard, not seen. She is completely devoid of any physically attractive characteristics.

January 28, 2010 at 4:31 pm
(28) Bernie says:

Love Rachel! One of the best looking guys on MSNBC!

February 3, 2010 at 12:02 pm
(29) Dylan says:

Rachel Maddow is smart. But she is too biased. She backs up her fellow gay and lesbian friends even when they don’t deserve backing. She has denied real surveys about gays just because she is a lesbian. Fox News may be biased for conservatives but MSNBC is biased for liberals.

February 17, 2010 at 11:32 pm
(30) dude says:

Maddow is awesome. She can go head on with any conservative. And who cares whether she’s “cute” or isn’t she has stuff to say that people should listen to. And for all you “she’s biased”, well that’s what she is a, a pundit and not a “this is the new tonight”. Get used to it. She doesn’t yell like O’Reilly or spew hatred like Beck. In general she seems positive rather than always, always dwelling on the negative like most conservative pundits.

July 7, 2010 at 2:39 pm
(31) dawn79 says:

Yes. Rachel Maddow is cute and I love her facial expressions. I’m happy to see I am not the only one that thinks so. I also have a crush on her.

September 16, 2010 at 1:35 pm
(32) bite me says:

Her breath smells like Janine Garofalo

October 6, 2012 at 7:15 am
(33) Jim says:

Quite frankly, I really don’t care if she is gay or not. She is however, definitely a left wing socialist. Our history and culture does not embrace these value. There are plenty of countries that would embrace her socialist ideals; feel free to relocate to anyone of them.