1. People & Relationships

Kathy Belge

President Obama Supports Gay Marriage!

By May 9, 2012

The news in North Carolina was upsetting. But today, for the first time, a United States president has said he supports same-sex marriage.  In an interview with Robin Roberts on CBS News the President said, "I have to tell you that over the course of several years as I have talked to friends and family and neighbors when I think about members of my own staff who are in incredibly committed monogamous relationships, same-sex relationships, who are raising kids together, when I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet feel constrained, even now that Don't Ask Don't Tell is gone, because they are not able to commit themselves in a marriage, at a certain point I've just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married."

President Obama has said his views on marriage have been "evolving." It is likely he's been supportive of same-sex marriage all along, but was afraid to say so because he didn't want to lose votes. Yet, despite yesterday's loss in North Carolina, Americans are moving toward acceptance of same-sex marriage, as was revealed by a Gallup poll earlier this week.

This is historic news and will greatly distinguish President Obama from his Republican opponent Mitt Romney in the 2012 elections.

© Getty Images

Comments
May 10, 2012 at 10:39 am
(1) Jay says:

Hurray for your President!!!

May 10, 2012 at 10:43 am
(2) Amber Pence says:

Thank you Mr. President! So often we are blatantly rejected in politics and seek out the victories where they are prevalent- in this case, a victory. More importantly, validation, however the impact, especially within an election year. Thank you Obama, I never regretted voting for you.

May 10, 2012 at 2:45 pm
(3) Fran says:

God bless him for having stated that publicly!
It’s an important moment for all of us.
Thank God! :-)

May 10, 2012 at 6:03 pm
(4) Kel says:

What bravery president Obama has shown by sharing his heart. Whether people agree or not, he should be commended for voicing his opinion and having the guts to speak up in a world where people hide in closets for fear of being judged or unpopular. Thank you Mr. President for being a great role model.

May 10, 2012 at 9:24 pm
(5) Sally says:

“Come one, come all! Gape in awe as Barack Obama, under pressure from his own conservatives, skilfully triple-somersaults away from support for gay marriage! Watch with bated breath as state and local authorities white-ant equal rights for lesbians and gays!

Because, unlike the evil socialist nations of Argentina, Belgium, Canada, Iceland, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, South Africa, Spain and Sweden, which simply legislated gay marriage into existence, the USA is a democracy, which means that everyone must agree – well, except on a few unimportant matters like who gets employed and under what conditions, what gets produced, whether and under what conditions people should be sent to fight and die in war, whether national parks should be fracked or whether banks should be bailed out.

Roll up, roll up, girls and boys, ladies and gentlemen, rent your time-machines here! Set your dials to come back in a thousand years and witness the still unresolved debate about whether lesbians and gays are human beings who deserve the same rights as heterosexuals!”

May 10, 2012 at 11:06 pm
(6) Maria says:

Congratulations on your evolvement U.S.A. ! Mr. Obama you are a brave and intelligent man.

May 11, 2012 at 2:29 pm
(7) Monika says:

Barack Obama; president of the united states, is the most courageous, wonderful and honourable Human being imaginable. The whole world; not just Americans, should be proud of him.

October 8, 2012 at 1:43 am
(8) cheap kitchen sinks says:

I do consider all the concepts you have introduced on your post.
They’re really convincing and can definitely work. Nonetheless, the posts are too quick for starters. Could you please extend them a bit from next time? Thanks for the post.

November 14, 2012 at 11:50 am
(9) jason says:

i think bacack obama is the best