When you're coming out of the closet, it can be hard to know where to meet other lesbians or bisexual women. If you're not into the bar scene and are not ready to put yourself out there for dating, but just want to meet other lesbians or bisexuals for friendship, where do you go? Here are some ideas of great places to meet other lesbians and bisexual women.
1. The Lesbian BarIn many cities and small towns, the only place to meet other lesbians may be in the lesbian bar. If you are not into the club scene try going on a night other than Friday or Saturday. You may find an open mic or karaoke night. On off nights youre more likely to find an atmosphere that's more low key and friendly than the party weekend scene.
2. Gay and Lesbian CenterIf theres a gay and lesbian center in your town, it can be an excellent place to meet people. Many gay and lesbian centers have support groups, rap groups, book and movie groups and political action activities. Find one that feels right to you and youre sure to meet other like-minded lesbians and bisexuals.
3. Sports TeamsMany cities have recreational sports teams, whether it be softball, volleyball or basketball. Its no secret that lesbians love sports. Some have whole leagues for gay and lesbian athletes, other have teams that are known to be the teams lesbians play on. You dont have to be an athlete to get in on the action. Sports like softball and rugby often have many lesbians in the stands watching. It can be a great place to people watch and start a conversation with a stranger.
4. ActivitiesThe best place to meet other lesbians with interests similar to your own is to get involved in activities that interest you. Volunteer at the local animal shelter. Join the local gardening club or bird watchers group. The lesbians who are there may be few, but you know youll have something in common with them.
5. Through FriendsLet friends and coworkers know that you want to meet other lesbians and bisexuals. Have them invite you over for dinner or game night. Let them know youre just looking to make friends. Once you meet one or two lesbians that you get along with, you may end up meeting their friends and be welcomed into a whole new circle of people.
Sure most people think of the Internet as a place to meet lesbians to date, but it can also be a great place to meet women for friendship. You can put an ad up that says youre just looking to make friends and answer other womens ads that say the same thing. Who knows, you may even hit if off with someone and take it further than just friends.
If your area has a church that is an open and welcoming congregation, that means the church is welcoming to gays and lesbians. Also Metropolitan Community Churches, United Church of Christ and Unitarian Churches, among others are known to be welcoming of gays and lesbians.
8. Gay NeighborhoodsAlmost every major city has a neighborhood where gays and lesbians tend to live. Theres sure to be a coffeehouse or café where the lesbians will congregate.
9. Straight ClubsWhen I was in my 20s, there was this hot female rock singer that we used to love. We didnt know it for sure, but we suspected she was a lesbian. We would go to her shows and sure enough, every time we did, there were plenty of other lesbians there. Keep your eyes peeled for shows and concerts that lesbians are likely to attend.
10. Gay NewspaperPick up a copy of your local gay paper. There may be personals ads, a calendar of events or announcements for dances, plays, art shows, concerts and other activities. Check out one that interests you. Invite a gay-friendly straight friend to come along if youre too shy to go by yourself.